Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beginning Roots


My Daddy started our first family garden in 1999 where we had torn down an old shed. I remember helping (or frustrating) Daddy while he planted broccoli, lettuce, onions, spinach, carrots, beans and peas. We did that garden for a few years. The weeds always got away from Daddy because it was during allergy season, and Momma can't weed with her back. So, we did not garden for several years.

Last year, 2008, my family and I decided to let me try a raised bed where the old garden was. I successfully grew leeks, onions, cucumbers, 2 kinds of lettuce, spinach and tomatoes. I planted my broccoli in the fall, but it did not grow. I will post later about this year's planting.

7 comments:

  1. Your garden last year was terrific! We enjoyed the leeks even into the winter!

    I am so proud of you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Anna! You kept your blogging project a big surprise! We are so excited for you, and I'm sure we'll LOVE reading all about your gardening efforts throughout the year. You'll do great! ~ Mrs G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about your new blog, and will love keeping up with what you write! I am glad I get to see your garden in person, too. :) You have done a good job helping grow food for your family. Thanks also for sharing some with us!

    That's funny how you described remembering helping in the garden when you were a toddler. I can remember walking up and down the rows of the garden we had when we lived in Afton(I was 7-8), but that was about it, until we started our current one in 2004.

    Thanks also for putting my button up.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna I hope your garden is a sucsess!
    Your blog was a suprise for me.
    Let god bless your garden with good vegetables for your family to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to see such a nice young lady growing a garden for her family! I wish I could get my boys interested in gardening. Well, they like to eat, but don't so much like to weed. I'm looking forward to your gardening posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, thanks for including me on your invitation to your blog. I will enjoy watching your garden grow! Can't wait to see what you will be canning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Looks like you are off to a great start, and what a wonderful Dad you must have. I look forward to watching your garden grow. :o)

    ReplyDelete