Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Frost Protection

Over the last two nights, we have had some frost. Daddy and I placed tarps over the plants for protection. We did some research and found out some things.

There are two types of frost, light frosts and hard killing frosts. The first night, we had a light frost, but last night, we had a hard frost. Last night, we covered some of the plant with tarps twice because the temperature was 29ยบ.

I read that you should water the plants before you cover them. Watering them first traps the moisture and warms the plants some during the night. Another way to keep the plants warm is to place a bottle of warm water with the plants because water holds heat longer than the plants.

Also, cover your plants before dusk, since the air gets colder after the sun goes down. Covering the plants before dusk helps trap some warm air underneath the tarps. A good website to look at for more information on frost protection is here.

4 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful tips. Thank you for the website link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa,

    I am glad that you are enjoying the blog. While I was studying about frost, I read about making the growing season last longer. I will post later on that.

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna,

    Madeline and I have been enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work. I will look forward to your post on extending the growing season. I would love to be able to grow salads and other greens all the way through the winter!

    Mrs. Hochsteteler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mrs. Hochsteteler,

    I am very glad that Madeline and you have been enjoying the blog.

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete