Monday, June 15, 2009

Dehydrating Oregano

Last week, Momma and I gathered oregano from my herb garden. Oregano is a member of the mint family. We decided to dehydrate the oregano to use this winter. Momma and I dried it in our dehydrator which our family uses for a variety of foods. Here is how we preserved the herb.

Early in the morning, I went to cut the oregano in order for the good oils to stay in the plant. Momma and I gently washed the oregano and allowed it to dry on towels.
After most of the water had evaporated from the oregano, we placed it on the racks of the dehydrator. We dried it for 15 hours at 105°. We then checked the dryness. Some of the herbs were dry after 15 hours, but most had to go a little bit longer.
We broke the leaves off of the stems and placed the leaves in a glass jar.
After all the leaves were dry, we placed a plastic lid on the jar and marked it. We labeled it since a lot of herbs look alike when they are dehydrated!

Momma and I hope to dry some other herbs from my garden when we have an abundance of them. Have you ever dried herbs?

3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful way to preserve your home-grown herbs! Thanks for showing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your showing us how to do this!!

    ReplyDelete