Monday, June 29, 2009

Garden Tours - Part 4

Last Saturday, we visited Heartland Harvest for a tour of their farm and gardens. They have 584 acres. Their beautiful gardens are huge! Below are some pictures from our tour of their gardens.

They have potatoes in a separate field down the road from their house. One group of rows is red potatoes and 3 more groups of rows are white potatoes. In the same field are some pumpkins. They use oats as mulch in both the field and the garden. Mr. Showalter grows the oats, and then turns them into the ground in order to enrich the soil.
They are growing beans, squash, watermelons, strawberries, rhubarb, tomatoes, cucumbers, asparagus, lettuce, spinach, grapes and onions. Their tomatoes also had blight like mine did this year. The asparagus has gone to seed, but the plants are still beautiful. Their rhubarb is about done. We had gotten our rhubarb at Heartland Harvest this year since our plant is not ready to use. The Showalter family uses black paper around the plants to keep the weeds down. I was excited to hear that Mr. Showalter uses garlic to keep pests away like I do. He uses garlic in a spray form, though I used the powder. (He has a lot more space to cover!)

The grapes grow over an arbor. We tasted some of their grape juice at our home fellowship for communion. It was very good!
Thank you, Heartland Harvest, for the tour! We are glad that you are our neighbors!

2 comments:

  1. Miriam Jarrels ClarkJune 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM

    Anna, I'm enjoying your blog! I'm no good with knowing about specific garden pests, but I often use diatomaceous (sp?) earth to help control some of them. I believe it is considered organic. I also recently started using how pepper wax to discourage the "chewing pests". Happy gardening (and blogging!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a blogger award. See my blog to accept it.

    ReplyDelete