Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Strawberries!

Today, Momma, Ben and I got some strawberries for jam. We got 12 quarts! We also bought some rhubarb for strawberry rhubarb jam.
After we got home, Momma and I made some strawberry jam and strawberry freezer jam. We got the strawberry jam recipe from my Ball Blue Book of Preserving. Out of 8 quarts of strawberries, we got 16 pints of jam! I loved to listen to the lids "pop" and seal as they came out of the canner. With 2 more quarts of berries, we made strawberry freezer jam. The other 2 quarts will be used for ice cream and strawberry pie. I will post on the strawberry pie soon.

Here are the 2 recipes for both the strawberry jam and the strawberry freezer jam.

Strawberry Jam

Yield: About 6 pints

2 quarts strawberries
1 package powdered pectin
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar

Wash strawberries; drain. Remove stems. Crush strawberries one layer at a time. Combine strawberries, powdered pectin and lemon juice in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if neccessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
~~~~~
Strawberry Freezer Jam

Yield: Maybe 2 pints. (We had some different sized jars from the jelly you can get in the store.)

1 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups crushed strawberries
1 package freezer pectin

Mix together pectin and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add crushed strawberries. Mix well. Ladle into freezer safe jars. Place one-piece lids on the jars. (We used the lids that came with the jars.) Let jars sit 30 minutes. Place in freezer.
I had a long, but happy day. I cannot wait to can some more!

3 comments:

  1. Anna, great job!! You have been busy! Hannah has frozen most of our strawberries because I'm about the only one who eats strawberry jam in our family. Your jars look wonderful all lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    Everything looks SO GREAT!

    I am adding a few of your pictures to our From Seeds to Harvest Slideshow along with your link. I hope you don't mind. If you do just let me know and I'll remove them. It should be put up later today.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mrs. G!

    You can come eat jam at our house! :)

    Hello Mrs. Brodock!

    I don't mind you using the pictures on your slide show. Thank you for including me!

    ReplyDelete