Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Carrots

This year, I planted some carrots. Our family loves carrots, especially raw for a snack. Carrots are a root crop. Queen Anne's Lace, celery, anise, caraway, dill, cilantro, cumin, chervil, fennel, parsley, parsnip and poison hemlock are members of the carrot family. Queen Anne's lace is sometimes known as 'wild carrot'. Poison hemlock is a poisonous plant, so it might not be good to forage for a wild carrot, since poison hemlock is a member of the carrot family and looks just like the rest.

Carrots can be a variety of colors from the traditional orange to purple. The orange type was first noted in Babylon. Charlemagne grew the purple type in his garden. During the 13th century, carrots were introduced to European countries by Arabian traders. The explorers brought them to South America in the 1500's. After World War 1, carrots started to be produced commercially in farms to sell in America. Now, carrots are a common vegetable in many gardens.

When I dug some carrots, I wondered if carrot tops were edible. After some research, I discovered that some people think that they are edible, but some think that they are toxic. I found out that the stem tastes like a bitter carrot. I nibbled at the leaves, and thought that they did not have a very strong taste. Some people consider carrot tops to be poisonous to children, but not to adults. After the controversial research, Momma and I decided that the compost could have our tops :)

Here is a good place for some carrot recipes.

3 comments:

  1. It was interesting to see this post. Because just before I came to my computer, I was thinking that my Friday post should be about canning carrots.

    I confess that I have never really liked carrots, but they are good for me so I put them in soups and stews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ms. Charlotte,

    While I was posting, Momma wondered how to can carrots. I can't wait to read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,

    It looks like your garden is doing beautifully!

    I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete