Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jalapenos

Yesterday, I dried some jalapeno peppers with Momma. We grew them in our practical pots. Jalapenos peppers are moderately hot. They grow best in full sun with lots of water. Jalapenos are ripe when they have a bright sheen over their green flesh. They can ripen longer and go into shades of dark green, black and finally red. The red jalapenos are sweeter, but are still hot.

The hottest part of the jalapeno is the ribs. Any thing that touches it also becomes hot. (The seeds are hot because they come into direct contact with the ribs.) It is necessary to wear gloves and protective glasses to protect your hands and eyes from being burned by the oil. If you do burn your hands from the jalapeno, you should apply rubbing alcohol on the burning spot to remove the oil. Then you soak your skin in milk to help take away the burning. If you do not have a dairy product, you can wash your hands in warm soapy water, and then soak your skin with olive oil or vegetable oil for one minute before you rinse the oil off.

You can dry the jalapenos like Momma and I did in our dehydrator, but you could air dry or oven dry them. Here is how Momma and I prepared and dried our jalapenos.
  1. I washed the jalapenos while wearing gloves to protect my hands from the jalapeno oil.
  2. Once the jalapenos were washed, I cut half-way around the top of the pepper with a paring knife like you would coring a bell pepper. I sliced all the way around the pepper so that it would be in half.
  3. Momma took the seeds out while wearing rubber gloves. She said that she could still feel a little burn through the glove!
  4. I laid the jalapenos on the racks of the dehydrator.
  5. The jalapenos dried for 11 to 12 hours at 145° until they were brittle. Most people dry theirs for 3 to 20 hours depending on the size and pepper.
We packed our jalapenos in a glass jar to use later for spicy foods. My Grandpa loves them in salsa! I think that jalapenos' name should be changed to "hot"apenos!

2 comments:

  1. You taught me something new. I always thought that the hottest part was the seeds. I didn't know that the seeds get it from the ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am from Virginia, too. Southwest va. near Mt. Rogers, highest elevation in Va. I grow Jalapeno peppers every year. My canning recipe is as follows: Slice the peppers. Boil 2 quarts water and 1 guart vinegar. Depending on the amount of pepppers, you may have to double the vinegar/water mix. Sterilize jars & lids for 10 minutes in hot water. Pack peppers in jars (quarts or pints), add 1 tsp.salt per quart or one-half tsp.salt per pint. Pour boiling vinegar/water over and seal with hot lids.

    ReplyDelete