Monday, July 20, 2009

Wild Blackberries

My family loves to camp in our pop-up camper during the summer and fall. When we went camping this past weekend at James River State Park, we found some wild blackberry plants while we were hiking. Daddy has always loved blackberries. Ben, Daddy and I enjoyed the blackberries as we picked the juicy fruit from the thorny plant. We normally will pick local blackberries in early August. Momma and I freeze the blackberries for cobblers and pies in the winter.
Blackberries have been around for a very long time. They were used by the Greeks and the Romans to treat illnesses. Blackberries are high in antioxidants. The wild blackberry plants have thorns, and they may grow near poison ivy. Be careful when you are picking the blackberries because both plants have three leaves! Most wild blackberries are tart, though I found out that when they are soft, they are sweet. There are blackberry vines and bushes. The bushes are more frost hardy than the vines. Boysenberries and loganberries were bred from blackberries. There are tame blackberry hybrids that are thornless and much easier to pick.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Anna! I'm glad you and your family had a good time away. Looks like you had beautiful weather, at least part of the time. I'm sure it was thrilling to happen upon the wild blackberries. I just came in from picking our blackberries--they are about peaking now. I should go exploring to see whether we have any wild ones--maybe they are tucked amongst the autumn olives.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend. I love picking wild berries. You don't really come across blackberries around here, but there are plenty of other berries to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete