Friday, August 21, 2009

Canning Green Beans

On Wednesday, we canned the green beans that we picked at Katy's garden. We canned our beans without salt. You can also pickle green beans but I have never tried it.

Green beans have to be canned in the pressure canner so that the high heat kills bacterial growth. The pressure canner only needs to be used for low acid vegetables, fruits and meats.
We picked the beans early in the morning. Ben, Momma and I snapped the beans before lunch. (Maggie sat on my lap while I took out some of the older beans from their shell.)
Momma and I washed and packed the beans into quart jars. I filled the jars up with water leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
I canned the beans in the pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
We canned a total of 16 quarts to eat in the winter!

1 comment: