Friday, August 7, 2009

Dehydrating Green Bell Peppers

Yesterday, we dehydrated some bell peppers. The peppers were from my garden. Momma will use the peppers in sauces and other crock-pot recipes. We sliced them and dried them at 145°. The dehydration time varies on peppers depending on the amount of water content that they contain.

On Sunday, when the tomato plants fell over, one of the plants fell on one of my pepper plants. It partially broke the stem. Ben mentioned using masking tape since he had read it in an old book. So far, the plant has been healthy and has blooms. Thank you, Ben, for the idea!

Bell peppers are native to South America and North America. I also discovered that paprika is made out of red bell peppers.

I have more peppers ripening in my garden for one of my Daddy's favorite dishes. Daddy loves stuffed peppers! Below is the recipe Momma uses from Betty Crocker's Cookbook.

Stuffed Green Peppers
makes 6 servings
6 large green peppers
1 pound hamburger
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup cooked rice
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cut thin slice from stem end of each pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain.
Cook and stir hamburger and onion in 10-inch skillet until hamburger is light brown; drain. Stir in salt, garlic salt, rice, and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; heat through.
Stuff each pepper with hamburger mixture; stand upright in ungreased baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Pour remaining sauce over peppers. Cover; cook in 350° oven 45 minutes. Uncover; cook 15 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cheese.

1 comment:

  1. You have been so busy! Yes, my eye hurt when it happened and then it went numb. It never hurt again. I shaved my eyebrow off the cut area, cleaned it with salt water and iodine. Then I taped it shut. I removed the tape each night to clean it and by the third night, it was closed. It is healing and it looks no worse than a scratch. GOD is good! As women, we care about our looks. HE is good to me.

    ReplyDelete