Thursday, August 27, 2009

Making Salsa and Pizza Sauce

Yesterday, we made some salsa and pizza sauce out of Grammy's tomatoes. We got 40+ ripe red tomatoes. I also had tomatoes out of my garden, which we used in the pizza sauce. Grammy said that she does not want to can any more tomatoes, so we will do some more salsa, pizza sauce and possibly ketchup next week.

Momma and I used packaged seasoning mixes this year for the salsa and pizza sauce. We used Mrs. Wages and Ball seasoning packages.
For the salsa, we scalded the tomatoes. I slipped the skins off of the tomatoes after the were scalded, and Momma cut them up.
Then, we mixed in the package and simmered it for 10 minutes. After simmering the salsa, I put it in the jars and canned it in the water bath canner for 40 minutes.
When we made the pizza sauce, we scalded the tomatoes and slipped off their skins. Momma made a puree out of the tomatoes in our blender. After grinding the tomatoes up, we added the seasoning mixture, and simmered it for 25 minutes.
Once I filled up the jars, I canned them 40 minutes in the water bath canner.

Momma and I enjoyed working together and canning 20 pints of salsa, and 10 pints of pizza sauce!

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! Lots of nice jars.

    It will be interesting to see how Ben approves the homemade ketchup.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make spicy or mild salsa? Save Grandpa a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Grammie!

    I made both spicy and mild. What kind does Grandpa like?

    ReplyDelete