Monday, August 24, 2009

Planting the Fall Garden

Today, I planted the first part of my fall garden. I sowed lettuce, buttercrunch lettuce and radishes. I also hope to plant some cabbage, turnips, garlic, spinach and onions. (An update on the cabbage regrowth: The heads regrew to about 2 inches. There is another cabbage plant which has a head growing to 4 inches. The cabbage was a bit strong. I am guessing that it was the result of the recent hot weather since cabbage is a cold weather plant.)

While I was turning up the garden, I had to pull some dead squash plants. Ben and I have been wanting to make a whistle out of the squash stems. We tried to make them today, but we were not successful. Ben and I researched how to make them on the internet and found a very interesting site with lots of whistle ideas and garden games. We have seen the whistles made before, so we know that they can work. Have you ever made one? Did it work?

1 comment:

  1. I love all the pictures of your garden and canning efforts! I also loved the website you showed us that has the whistle ideas. That's a keeper.

    Thanks for all your hard work and sharing it in a blog!

    ReplyDelete