Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Winterizing your Garden

This week, we had a rather heavy freeze, with temperatures down to 29! I had to clean up my garden by pulling plants that would not make it through the freeze. I also will be planting some bulb root crops that will come up in the spring. Here are some things that will help get your garden ready for winter!

Garlic should be planted in the next few weeks. You should separate the bulb into cloves. I plant my garlic about 2 times deep the length of the clove, and I plant each clove about 3-6 inches apart. The point of the garlic clove should be up. Gently cover the cloves with dirt and pack it down. In late November, mulch the garlic with straw which protects the sprouts from cold. Keep the mulch over the garlic until late March.

I get onion bulbs from my Grammy to plant for spring. Momma loves spring onions because of their mellow flavor. They can be planted much like garlic, but in closer spaces of 1-2 inches between each bulb.

Clean the leftover plant debris from the garden to prevent insects from overwintering in the garden. Diseases get established in the garden’s soil from overgrown gardens. Haul all of the plants out of the garden to prevent the possible diseases.

Summer-bearing raspberries should have their 2 year canes removed. The canes that are left will bear fruit next year. Summer bearing raspberries only will bear the fruit when they are 2 years old. Fall bearing raspberries should be pruned after the first freeze.

Cool weather crops, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, do not need to be protected from frost. They can normally stand temperatures down to 22-25 degrees Fahrenheit. Some people actually think that the flavor is better because of the frost!

Hoses and drip irrigation systems should be drained and stored for the winter. One freeze can destroy the hoses and nozzles!

When your leaves fall from the trees, and they cover your yard, you can shred the leaves and put the in your compost. (Ben and I love to shred our leaves by raking them in a pile and jumping in them with Kathie! (: ) You can get excellent compost by building (or buying) a composter and placing the leaves in it over the winter.
My garden is mostly ready for its dormant stage during winter. Is your garden ready?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture of the frosty cows and tree!

    Yesterday I dug my sweet potatoes after their leaves got frosted. This was my first year for doing those, so that was interesting. My carrots, parnsnips, kohlrabi and cabbage are doing well so far in the cold weather.

    See you soon. And happy day after your birthday.:)

    ReplyDelete