Friday, December 11, 2009

Gifts from the Garden

This year's fall garden, I planted some turnips for the first time. Although turnips can grow quite large, they are best when they are about 2 to 3 inches wide. All of my family loves turnips. We think that they are best sliced with salt and pepper. You can cook turnips like potatoes, but they lose some of their flavor.

I gave some of the turnips to Grandpa. The turnip greens that I harvested went to Grammy. Turnips are one vegetable that she did not have in her fall garden this year. We will also be giving salsa made from the garden this year to Grandpa. You can go here for some other gift ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Those are nice-looking--and purplish, too!I'm sure he loved your gift and the work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful turnips! We love growing them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny and I found some turnip seeds today...although the only size bag they had was a lb. I went ahead and got them, and I guess we'll have turnips for a few years! ;) I'll have to try your method of eating them.

    ReplyDelete